Powered by LogMeIn, Cubby is the latest entry in the cloud data service market. LogMeIn has been around since 2003 and provides "solutions for remote control, file sharing, systems management, data backup, business collaboration and on-demand customer support of PCs, servers, Macintosh computers, smartphones and other connected devices." Cubby is built to allow you to simply and securely share your information between PCs, Macs, iPads, iPhones, and Android devices.
"When it comes to sharing data in the cloud today, most solutions on the market are ultra simple but inflexible, or highly flexible but inherently complex. We see Cubby as an opportunity to deliver an ideal balance of simplicity and flexibility," said Marton Anka, LogMeIn's CTO. "It is designed to adapt to the way people naturally interact with their information -- to deliver the benefits of the cloud without forcing people to change their behavior."
Cubby is very similar to Dropbox and other storage solutions available today:
- Free online storage space (5GB free compared to Dropbox's 2GB)
- Access to your data on multiple computers and mobile devices
- Share files and folders with others
- iOS and Android apps to access documents away from your home computer
There are also differences between Cubby and the other competitors:
- You can make any folder a cubby - it does not have to be located inside the Cubby folder
- Unlimited peer-to-peer syncing - files can be synced between computers without affecting your Cubby cloud storage limit
- Restore deleted files - all deleted files are kept in an archive (part of Dropbox's paid service)
- Recover older versions - each revision is saved in the file's archive (part of Dropbox's paid service)